Monday, June 23, 2008

Mangosteen!



Called manggis (mahn-geese) here. It's in season again and we're excited, though somewhat cautious! I LOVE this fruit - the reason for the caution - it STAINS and WON'T come out. Josh dropped a piece on a pair of khakis last year when it was in season - has been wearing those pants for a YEAR since then and it still hasn't come out or really faded (not even with all the stain treatments I'd tried). If you can get a hold of some to try - DO IT! You'll love it! But be careful...

7 comments:

Ruth said...

Ooh... I've heard about mangosteens on foodie podcasts but have never had one - one guy said they were the best fruit in the world. What do they taste like?

Josie said...

I thought about how I could answer your question, and what came to mind was that it's very hard to answer! It's like nothing I've ever eaten before. It's considered the Queen of Fruit (like Durian is considered the King of Fruit). It's quite sweet and juicy, kind of tangy, bright flavor but not really tart. Very hard to describe. In looking it up, I found an article dated earlier this year that said that mangosteens have recently been allowed into the US for the first time ever and that Cub food stores carry them and will until August. Check out this article...http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/taste/19318369.html. Maybe you can find them in a store near you? Hope you get the chance!

Anonymous said...

I love Manggis. I miss eating them. We used to buy a big bag of them when we were at the Pasir Panjang and sit around eating them. I envy you.
Adrienne

Wes and Brenda Dyck said...

We are drooling just looking at the pictures!
I think this was a family favorite!
You don't eat them with your good clothes on for sure!
I think my favorite though, is lansat or duku.

Kendra Rickert said...

I would LOVE to try those! They have so many good nutrients in them, and have become really popular in the natural foods industry in recent years! But expensive too! Enjoy while you can! :)

Jodi Dyck said...

Mangosteen is fun, but I'm waiting to hear about BabySteen. Will you hurry up and have her??? ;-)

Anonymous said...

My favorite too!
Nathan