On Friday I received delivery of a couple of shirts (I’d ordered) from the seamstress. (I can’t buy clothing in this country – most westerners can’t cause we’re so much bigger than the nationals here.) I was thrilled to have them because I need them for school, but disappointed that they didn't fit right. I emailed all the westerners in town and asked if anyone had a sewing machine that I could borrow. To my dismay, no one has one. (I left mine at home in the U.S.) I didn’t know what to do – I couldn’t wear them that way – and I didn’t have time to get back to the seamstress' place, which is a ways away.
Then Josh had an idea. He’d met a girl and her boyfriend on one of his walks with the kids, and remembered that her mom was a seamstress. She lives a short walk from our home. We took the kids on a walk this afternoon and her mom had time to fix the shirts right away. I took 2 home with me, already fixed and will pick up the other two tomorrow afternoon after school and my session with my tutor.
So, it's a relief to have it taken care of. (Total cost: $2 USD) My t-shirts have been washed at least once a week since we got here and are looking pretty worn. I also can’t replace those here, so I didn’t want them completely worn out the first 6 months! To "top" it off, I’ve made a new friend and had about an hour of “live language” time in the home of a neighbor! I am so thankful!!
1 comment:
There is a seamstress on the next street over from you - if you go to Yud. 4, and turn on that little side street about half way down, her house is the 2nd on the left. She made maternity clothes for me, and her husband made Russ some shirts.
Dina
Post a Comment